Thanks to the GDC Scholarship Fund, Pixelles has GDC Conference + Summits passes for women (cis/trans), trans men and non-binary/genderqueer folks in the games community. We’re excited to organize another “Pixelles Ensemble at GDC” and continue our theme of Mid-Career Support.
If you are a parent or from an underrepresented country who is eligible, we especially want to see you apply! In fact, we have actually set aside a few places within our scholarship to make sure your voices are heard.
GDC stands for the Game Developers Conference taking place in San Francisco (California, USA) from March 18th to 22nd, 2019. It’s one of the largest conferences on game development in the world featuring panels, lectures, and roundtables on a variety of topics.
There’s also lots of other events happening around the same time too. Off-site networking, social events and luncheons also take place during GDC. If you’re low on energy take a break at the Mild Rumpus or enjoy the San Franciscan weather.
If your application is accepted you’ll receive a free GDC Conference + Summits pass. You’ll then head out to the conference for a full week of talks and activities with a friendly group of other games folks!
Pixeles provides you with:
- GDC Conference + Summits passes
- Slack chat for communication, safety and coordinating with the other participants
- Private, low key events
- Possibility of financial assistance based on our fundraising efforts
- Our support, guidance and help with your GDC experience
Please be aware that you are responsible for costs associated with travel, lodging, food, etc. Our financial assistance helps but it probably will not cover the entire cost of the trip.
If it’s your first-time heading out to GDC or even visiting San Francisco, don’t worry! We’ll be there to guide you, point out the cheap (but delicious) food spots, share a ride, set up a buddy system for social events and make sure you have a great time!
We want to support folks with a combined ~3+ years experience in games, by creating a more focused support group throughout the conference. Why? We noticed that there’s many scholarship programs available to students/new graduates but not much for people already mid-way through their games career.
As mentioned before, we especially want to see applications by parents and/or people not from Canada, USA and Europe. A few places out of the 25 passes available have been set aside to actively encourage your participation. There is a question on our application form to indicate this. GDC does have childcare. We will do our best to help with the visa process.
If you’ve been making, working, teaching or creating games as art for ~3+ years total then you are eligible to apply. These years don’t need to be all from one role or domain; adding them up is okay! You are still eligible if you’re unemployed or between jobs at this time.
You are eligible to apply if you:
- Have combined ~3+ years experience in games from:
- having worked in a studio (yes, non-production roles count!) or at a games adjacent company (like tools/engines)
- independent, freelance or contract worker
- teacher or adjunct faculty (sorry, no tenured professors)
- interactive, digital or fine artist creating “games”
- employed in another field but making games independently
- Don’t see your experience in the list? Apply anyway!
- Identify as a woman (cis/trans), non-binary, genderqueer or trans man
- Legally permitted to travel to the United States
- Agree to our safer space policy
If you have any questions about your eligibility or our program then please email us at email@example.com. If you’re unsure, apply anyway. The application takes about an hour to fill out.
Deadline: November 4th, 2018 at 11:59pm EST