Pixelles is looking for two workshop coordinators to help make our monthly workshops happen. Our workshops have always been a pillar of learning and opportunity for the community. Please note that all positions at Pixelles are volunteer-based (even the directors are volunteers) and remote. We are very understanding if you ever need a pause, do less hours or could use a helping hand.
Workshops will be organized by a team of two people with the support of our director, Rebecca. Our workshop events primarily take place outside of working hours or as a lunch & learn (EST / GMT-5). The content consists of a hands-on learning experience, a single speaker, panel, several micro-talks or presentation followed by breakout sessions. On occasion, we partner with studios to provide content and mentoring experiences. All workshops are 100% free and open to the community.
You’ll receive a $300 CAD honorarium for one year. This position is set to start in end of April 2022 (flexible). Applications close April 11th, 2022.
As workshop coordinator, you will:
- Organize virtual workshops through Zoom and Eventbrite until potentially summer 2022. When the threat of COVID passes, workshops will alternate on-site and virtual schedules
- Moderate questions during Q&A (virtual only)
- Update the website with the event description, embed sign-up form and video/slide materials
- Set up & put away tables, chairs and projector (in-person only, location tbd)
- Transport and facilitate borrowable laptops (in-person only, location tbd)
- Verbally introduce the workshop leader, Pixelles and end with goodbyes
- Organize with your co-coordinators over Slack
- Collaborate with workshop leaders to refine their workshop content
- Collaborate with studios on partnered workshop type events
- Respond to questions and requests for ticket cancellations
- Ensure the workshop remains a safe space for everyone attending
- Underrepresented gender in games (all women, nonbinary, transgender, genderqueer identities including AMAB and transmasculine people)
- Based in Montréal (though we organize remotely via Slack)
- Fluent in English and/or French
- Available for ~5-10 hours a month
- Have used or willing to learn Slack, Eventbrite, WordPress, Zoom
- Familiar with game development and Pixelles workshops
- Ready to organize free workshops for the community!
Before April 11th (2022), send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org that contains:
- What language(s) do you speak comfortably?
- How are you currently involved in games?
- Why do you want to be a workshop coordinator?
- Have you previously attended a Pixelles workshop?
- Do you have any previous experience organizing events, workshops, or other activities?
- As a workshop organizer, what would you most and least like to do – and why?
- Being the invisible force behind event logistics and small details
- Communications (copywriting, emails, questions, social media)
- Socializing with people, establishing partnerships and encouraging new voices
- Public speaking
- Can you commit to being an organizer for 1 year?
- [optional] Anything else you’d like to mention?
- [optional] Photo of your pet or most beloved thing