When: Tuesday, Sept. 23rd, 2014 from 7:00 – 9:30pm
Where: Notman House, 51 Sherbrooke Ouest
Cost: FREE :D
Do you have a weird and great idea for a dating sim or a visual novel? Want to explore a new interactive medium to tell YOUR stories? Are you an artist or a writer who loves games, but doesn’t know where to start? Join comic artist and Pixelles alumni Kim Hoang and figure it out together! Don’t forget to bring a laptop or share one with a friend!
This workshop is open to everyone of all genders, age, and skill level.
In this workshop, you will learn to
- Easy for beginners, and especially ideal for artists! No knowledge of coding needed, but you will acquire some general programming logic, should you want to learn more later.
- Use pre-made art and sound assets in a step-by-step tutorial — walk through the hardest part of the process without needing to bring anything to class. If you want to bring in your own artwork, that’s also totally okay! Just follow our guidelines.
- Discuss game design variance in dating sims, and how to implement them.
- Create your own unique dialogue and narrative on the fly, and share your creation with an interested group.
- Meet potential game collaborators! Girls be ambitious!
What is a dating sim?
Dating sims are a video game subgenre of simulation games, usually Japanese, with romantic elements. They are also sometimes put under the category of neoromance. The most common objective of dating sims is to date, usually choosing from among several characters, and to achieve a romantic relationship. A romantic simulation game (恋愛シミュレーションゲーム ren’ai shimyurēshon gēmu) in Japan, can involve several technical elements such as a time limit, several statistics such as looks and charm which can be boosted through exercise, or an “attraction meter” which can increase or decrease depending on one’s decisions.
Download & install Construct 2 & assets.
It’s Windows only but Macs can also run it through with a Virtual Machine.