Thanks to the GDC Scholarship Fund, Pixelles has GDC Core + Summit passes for women (cis/trans), trans men, non-binary/genderqueer and gender questioning people with 3+ years experience. We’re excited to organize another “Pixelles Ensemble at GDC” and continue supporting mid-career game developers.
If you’re also parent or from an underrepresented country we especially want to see you apply! We actually set aside a few places within our scholarship to make sure your voices are heard.
GDC stands for the Game Developers Conference taking place in San Francisco (California, USA) from March 16-20, 2020. It’s one of the largest conferences on game development in the world featuring panels, lectures, and roundtables on a variety of topics.
There’s also lots of other events happening around the same time too. Off-site networking, social events and luncheons also take place during GDC. If you’re low on energy take a break at the Mild Rumpus or enjoy the weather outside in the park.
Pixelles provides you with:
- GDC Core + Summits passes
- Slack chat for communication, safety and coordinating with the other participants
- Private, low-key events
- Possibility of invites to external networking & recruitment events
- Possibility of financial assistance based on our fundraising efforts
- Support, guidance and help with your GDC experience
- …and more!
Pixelles Ensemble aims to create a supportive environment that not only compliments professional development happening at GDC but also provides you with a small group of folks to depend on. While Pixelles does encourage you to take advantage of opportunities that we provide, we don’t force you to attend our events, talks or do any homework. It’s all optional.
If your application is accepted you’ll receive a complimentary, non-transferrable conference pass. Please be aware that you are responsible for booking and costs associated with travel, lodging, food, etc. Our financial assistance helps, but it probably will not cover the entire cost of the trip. If needed, GDC can provide a letter of intent for your visa process.
If it’s your first-time heading out to GDC or even visiting San Francisco, don’t worry! We’ll be there to guide you, point out the cheap (but delicious) food spots, share a ride, set up a buddy system for social events and make sure you have a great time!
We want to support gender marginalized folks with a combined ~3+ years experience in games. Why? We noticed that there are many scholarship programs available to students/new graduates but not much for people already mid-way through their games career.
As mentioned before, we especially want to see applications by parents and people outside of Canada, USA, Western Europe or Australia. Special consideration will be given to these applications to actively encourage your participation.There are questions on our application form where you can indicate this. If you intend to travel with your kid(s) to GDC, the conference does have childcare available. There is also a private nursing room available too. We will do our best to help with the visa process.
If you’ve been making, working, teaching or creating games as art for ~3+ years total then you are eligible to apply. These years don’t need to be all from one role or domain; adding them up is okay! You are still eligible if you’re unemployed or between jobs at this time.
You are eligible to apply if you:
- Have combined ~3+ years experience in games from:
- having worked in a studio (yes, non-production roles count!) or at a games adjacent company (like tools/engines)
- independent, freelance or contract worker
- teacher or adjunct faculty (sorry, no tenured professors)
- person / fine artist creating alt games and “games”
- employed in another field but making games independently
- Don’t see your experience in the list? Apply anyway!
- Identify as a woman (cis/trans), non-binary/genderqueer, gender-questioning or trans man
- Legally permitted to travel to the United States
- Agree to our safer space policy
If you have any questions about your eligibility or our program then please email us at email@example.com. If you’re unsure, apply anyway. The application takes at least 1 hour to complete.
Deadline was: November 22nd, 2020, 11:59pm EST